The Maine Medical Association has two full-time attorneys on staff providing legal assistance in the following areas:
- Contract reviews: Legal reviews of health plan and employment contracts for a flat fee of $350. These reviews are particularly helpful for residents stepping into practice or long-term members facing employment contract issues for the first time.
- Practice regulatory and ethical questions: HIPAA and EMTALA issues, consent to treatment, minors' rights, federal program compliance, medical liability risk management, delegation, reimbursement and more.
- Closing a practice: The Association also provides a helpful guide to that process.
- Medical staff bylaws and organization.
- Dispute resolution: Including privilege suspensions, intra-office conflicts, and inter-practice disputes.
- On-site training: Presentations on a variety of medical/legal, employment law and legislative/government topics.
Examples of Past Presentations:
- Health Information Privacy Laws - 2018 HIPAA & FERPA Update with Special Emphasis on Minor's Rights
- MMA Update on Physician Advocacy & the 128th Maine Legislature
- Advance Directives
- Update on Maine Laws and Associated Rules on Prescribing Opioid Medications
- Ethical Issues in Mental Health Care
- Sexual Harassment
- Minors’ Rights & Consent to Treatment
- Health Care Reform and the Affordable Care Act
Please note that these are presentation examples and may not be up to date. If there is another legal topic you are interested in, let us know. We regularly create and tailor presentations to the needs of practices.