The Maine Medical Association provides legal assistance in the following areas:
- Contract reviews: Legal reviews of health plan and employment contracts for a flat fee of $350. These reviews are particularly helpful for residents stepping into practice or long-term members facing employment contract issues for the first time.
- Practice regulatory and ethical questions: HIPAA and EMTALA issues, consent to treatment, minors' rights, federal program compliance, medical liability risk management, delegation, reimbursement and more.
- Closing a practice: The Association also provides a helpful guide to that process.
- Medical staff bylaws and organization.
- Dispute resolution: Including privilege suspensions, intra-office conflicts, and inter-practice disputes.
- On-site training: Presentations on a variety of medical/legal, employment law and legislative/government topics.