Resources for Addressing a Suicide Crisis
Call 911 if lethal means are present or if the person leaves and you are concerned about risk, otherwise use the resources below:
Maine Crisis Line 1-888-568-1112 (call and text)
Maine Crisis Services including Crisis Stabilization Units and Mobile Crisis Interventions
Suicide Prevention Resources
In collaboration with the Maine Suicide Prevention Program and NAMI Maine, the Maine Medical Association offers these resources for physicians and medical practices. The resources on this page are elements supporting a Zero Suicide framework which is a system-wide, organizational commitment to safer suicide care in health and behavioral health care systems. Here is a link to a quick guide on Zero Suicide.
Resources for Assessment and Management of Suicide Risk in Practice
- C-SSRS Assessment Screener
- Safety Planning Guide and Sample Safety Plan
- Safety Planning App
- NAMI Maine's Suicide Prevention in Healthcare Trainings: includes NAMI Maine's Collaborative Safety Planning Training and Suicide Assessment for Clinicians Training
Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Resources for Patients
- Maine Crisis Line 1-888-568-1112 (call and text)
- NAMI Maine Handout for Patients: When you call or text the Maine Crisis Line, with more local and national resources
- NAMI Maine's Support Groups
- NAMI Maine's Peer Center is a community where participants can feel accepted, uplifted, and empowered.
- NAMI Maine's Family to Family Class
- NAMI Maine's Basics Class
- Cornell Research Program for Self-Injury Recovery - information for family members and professionals on a wide range of self-injury topics.
- Surviving a Suicide Attempt - Suicide Attempt Survivors and Handbook for Recovery after a Suicide Attempt
- The Trevor Project - leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning youth.
- Maine TransNet - facilitates peer support groups for trans people and allies, as well as provides avenues for social networking and public dialogue.
Support for Suicide Loss Survivors
Suicide Prevention Lifeline
For technical assistance and guidance for dealing with a suicide loss, contact NAMI Maine at (800) 464-5767 ext 2318 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NAMI Maine's resource hub includes a regularly updated list of grief support groups in Maine.
Medical Professionals Health Program (MPHP) The MPHP supports the wellness of Maine's healthcare professionals by providing monitoring, advocacy, treatment resources, referrals, outreach and education. The MPHP is a program of the Maine Medical Association.
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center's Suicide Prevention Toolkit for Primary Care Practices
- NAMI Maine's Crisis Intervention Team Program
- Protective Custody Law
- 211 Maine
Last updated August 16, 2021
Virtual presentation by NAMI Maine: Suicide Prevention and Management in Healthcare Practice Settings: A Comprehensive Evidence-Based Approach This 1-hour presentation will provide updated information on trends and an overview of the best-practice approach to suicide identification, assessment and management of suicide within a practice or hospital setting.
A list of current NAMI Maine trainings offered can be found here: Suicide Prevention & Management Training for Healthcare Professionals. Trainings are available through a collaboration with the Maine Suicide Prevention Program, NAMI Maine and the Maine Medical Association. Topics include but are not limited to Suicide Prevention and Suicide Assessment and Management.
To schedule and for more information, contact NAMI Maine Suicide Prevention Coordinator Amanda Bouffard at email@example.com or at (800) 464-5767 x2318.
The Maine Suicide Prevention Program, administered by NAMI Maine, offers suicide prevention, assessment and management trainings.
- Suicide Prevention Gatekeeper Training
- Suicide Prevention Training of the Trainers
- Suicide Prevention for Clinicians Training
- Non-Suicidal Self Injury Training
- Suicide Prevention Protocol Development Training
- Suicide Prevention Curriculum Training
The MMA works closely with NAMI Maine to provide educational opportunities for Maine physicians and other clinical providers. If you have needs not identified in the list above, please contact NAMI Maine Suicide Prevention Coordinator Amanda Bouffard at firstname.lastname@example.org or (800) 464-5767 x2318 to discuss a customized training program.
The Maine CDC and Sweetser are offering free online Suicide Prevention training modules. Download the flyer with enrollment information here. Modules include:
- Columbia Suicide Severity Rating Scale (C-SSRS)
- Depressive Disorders in Children and Adolescents
- Counseling on Access to Lethal Means (CALM)
- Collaborative Assessment and Management of Suicidality (CAMS)
- Safety Planning Intervention for Suicide Prevention
- Suicide Risk Factors, Screening and Assessment